Pula Walking Tour
FEE: There is a fee of $30 per person to participate in this walking tour.
Be sure to enter it on your Conference Registration Form.

 

History of Pula
Archaeological evidence dates the settlement of Pula to the 10th century BC. In 177 BC, the Istrian peninsula was conquered by the Romans. During the time of Julius Caesar, the town grew, reaching a population of about 30,000 and became a major Roman port.

Temple of Roma and Augustus

Pula model

Bronze model of Pula

 

During the civil war of 42 BC, Pula took the side of Brutus and Cassius; it was destroyed after Octavian's victory, but was rebuilt at the request of Octavian's daughter Julia.

 

Much of the great amphitheatre that was constructed during that period is still standing.

The Romans also built water and sewage systems and fortified the city walls with ten gates, some of which still remain.

The Arch of the Sergii

After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the city and region were ruled by the Ostrogoths from 493 to 538 AD and then under the rule of the Exarchate of Ravenna from 540–751. During the Byzantine period Pula prospered and became the major port of the Byzantine fleet.

The Basilica of Saint Mary Formosa was built in the 6th century. The basilica was once the largest Byzantine structure in Pula, and was built in the 6th century. Richly decorated in its time, the remaining chapel, shown below, is now literally a shell of its original form, with only small details, including part of a wall mosaic, still intact.
The chapel of this former basilica can typically only be admired from the outside. However, special exhibitions during the summer months do create an opportunity for visitors to enter the chapel.

Chapel of St. Mary Formosa


The Venetians took the town in 1148 and for centuries the city's fate was tied to those of Venetian power and for the most part was ruled by Venice until 1797. Pula’s importance declined because of internal conflicts and wars between Venice and Genoa for the control of the city. By the 1750s there were only 3,000 inhabitants left in ancient city.

A Roman relief at the Archaeological Museum of Istria


In 1813, Pula and Istria were restored to the Austro-Hungarian Empire and in 1859 became Austria's main naval base and a major shipbuilding centre. Following the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918, Pula and Istria were given to Italy who retained control until 1943. In 1947 Pula became part of Yugoslavia until 1992 when it joined the new Republic of Croatia.

* * *

FEE: There is a fee of $30 per person to participate in this walking tour.
Be sure to enter it on your Conference Registration Form.